Sunday, December 19, 2010

Flying Home

Currently sitting on a cramped flight from Houston to Phoenix. Got to spend the last 24 hours in Houston visiting family it was a tremendously good time. Friends have always asked if making these short type trips to visit family are worth the time spent traveling and I always confirm that it is. To break it down a bit, for this current trip I will have spent roughly 6-7 hours of “traveling” (between flight times, getting to the airport early, etc) and was only actually in Houston for 24 hours total. It's all good in the end, I love being able to see everyone.

I've been thinking recently about the commencement of my $10 challenge that my brother and I will be partaking in. I think that it is going to be quite thrilling and am hoping to see great progress right from the beginning. I'm hoping that with some initial success and constant blogging / sharing of results that I will amass a bit of a support group from the poker community, which will obviously help to motivate throughout the challenge.

Ideally I'd like to be able to initially grind very hard to build the bankroll up and then take it to a comfortable spot to be able to 40+ table without really paying attention to results on a day to day basis. I'm going to focus on getting solid games in and not really check results unless I have to. My poker time when not spent on the tables will be spent in reviewing my play.

Today I spent some quality off-table time with updating some player notes. Once I realized I could just edit the notes file for Pokerstars without actually being logged into the client it has made it quite easy to review some hand histories and make player notes from my laptop while on the plane flying back to Phoenix. It's frustrating how limiting it can be to not have an active internet connectiion.

Some other off-table things I accomplished today were to setup my TableNinja on my laptop to completely exclude the use of the mouse. I usually play with the mouse and use it to affect bet sizing along with active table selection. With the move to just using the keyboard on my laptop I think that I will be able to put in longer sessions while being able to move around a bit. Additionally it means I will have a bit more freedom when it comes to traveling and grinding. Unlike mass tabling cash tables, an SNG grinder doesn't need to tile the tables out, especially at the micro-turbo tables. Stack away and play a solid push/fold strategy and print the monies. At least that's my plan!

To test out and get used to my new TN setup I went ahead and played a quick 10 table session of $1.10 DONs and ended up profiting $1 (6/10 wins). This brings my DONs history up to 9/15 total since starting with my $20 roll. I hope to use the $1.10 DONs during my challenge in the new year to boost my roll up to a spot where playing the $1.10 turbo 45s will be possible.

Well, the plane has begun its descent and this entry has grown exceedingly long. Best of luck at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment