Thursday, December 9, 2010

On The Horizon

So the New Year is fast approaching and with it comes a renewal of sorts.  It sounds cliché, in fact it IS cliché, but the slate gets wiped clean once the Ball has dropped.  It is a time to reflect on our achievements and accomplishments over the last twelve months, and then to look ourselves in the mirror and say, “What’s next?”
Generally speaking I’m a relatively ambitious person.  I don’t like to dawdle or waste time on things that don’t interest me.  This is slightly due to my addictive personality; I find something I want and I latch on to it and fully immerse myself.  For 2011 I’m going to make that thing poker and see where it leads.
This brings me to the point of my current blog post.  I have been discussing poker with my brother and he has begun to take a similar interest as myself.  We have agreed to take part in a challenge beginning January 1st and lasting through the year.  Our goal will be to turn $20 into $100,000.  We had originally considered doing a full $20 to $200,000 but being that neither one of us plays poker full time we wanted to keep it a bit more realistic (even though most would say $20 to $100,000 isn’t realistic ;)).
For this challenge we will be sharing our bankrolls through the early phases of the challenge to help reduce some of the variance while we’ll be under rolled for the games.  Our starting strategy will be similar to that in my current challenge: $0.10 360s, $0.25 45s and probably some limit cash games (of the 2c/4c variety) really early on to help with some volume along with reduce risk of ruin.  My initial thoughts on this challenge are that if our combined bankroll drops below $1, we will top back up to full and begin anew. 
The key to this challenge is going to be volume and study.  It is going to be critical that we get comfortable mass multi-tabling SNGs as without that there is little chance that we will succeed in such a lofty goal.  Additionally at some point we will both need to purchase SNGWiz to assist in the studying of some ICM spots so as to help plug leaks that are present in our games.  I’m still contemplating purchasing a license for myself as a holiday gift; we’ll see if that pans out though.  Huge volume plus constant leak plugging is a sure route to success.
Throughout this challenge I will be maintaining a blog with regular updates.  One of my core goals of the challenge is going to be constant updates through both the hard times and the good times.  I will also be encouraging my brother to keep a blog of his successes and hardships so that our followers can get both of our perspectives on the same challenge.
I have much more to say about the planning that will be going into this challenge over the next few weeks, but will end this blog post now as it has become rather long.  Everyone’s thoughts will be greatly appreciated as my brother and I plan this endeavor.
Best of luck at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment